If you have lost or had your credit card stolen most credit card companies will have procedures in place to assist you.
Below, you can find a complete list of contact phone numbers below to get in touch with your chosen financial institution.
For Australia’s top four financial institutions, we have included the following specific information:
ANZ has a 24/7 service for reporting a lost credit card as soon as possible. In Australia, you can call 1800 033 844, and if travelling overseas, you can place a reverse charge call to +61 3 9683 7043. ANZ will then cancel the lost credit cards and organise replacements.
In Australia, ANZ will provide your new card with 3-5 working days, and a courier service is available overseas for the price of $50. You can organise with ANZ to have your card delivered to an address of your choice. You must activate your card upon receiving it.
Commonwealth Bank has a processing service to deal with lost or stolen credit cards 24 hours a day, seven days a week. No matter where you are in the world, Commonwealth bank will cancel your existing card and arrange a replacement.
If you are in Australia, you can contact the Commonwealth bank on
13 22 21 to receive a replacement credit card within seven working days. Your new card will require activation.
Alternatively, overseas you can obtain a temporary replacement card from MasterCard or Visa (depending on which card you own) and you can seek help from any financial institution displaying the Visa or MasterCard sign. Otherwise, use either the MasterCard or Visa website to obtain free-call help lines for countries around the world.
NAB provides peace of mind to its customers by providing an around-the-clock service to report lost or stolen credit cards. You can contact the NAB toll free in Australia on 1800 033 103, or from anywhere in the world on +61 3 8641 9083.
You also have access to Visa, MasterCard and American Express global security programs that can be used to report stolen credit cards, cancel credit cards and obtain emergency funds. NAB also offers a Lost Card Cover service for its customers, which can assist in the event of runaway credit cards.
Westpac customers have access to a full-time customer service hotline to report and replace lost or stolen credit cards. You should report any credit cards that have disappeared immediately on 1300 651 089, or on + 61 2 9374 7082 when overseas (reverse charges).
Westpac will stop transactions on your card if it detects fraudulent activities, and once your card is cancelled, it will take 4-6 days to replace in Australia and 5-10 days if you are overseas. A courier charge of $20 is charged to your card for overseas delivery costs.
Westpac has provisions in place for emergency card replacement and emergency cash advances if necessary.
Credit Card Company Phone Contact List for Lost or Stolen Credit Cards
|Bank||Contact number in Australia||Contact Number if Overseas||Instructions for customers|
|AIMS Home Loans||1300 132 467||+61 2 9271 8664||Contact American Express immediately to cancel cards|
|AMP||13 30 30||+61 2 9761 9912||Contact AMP immediately to cancel cards|
|American Express||1300 132 639||+61 2 9271 8664||Contact American Express immediately to cancel cards|
|Aussie||1800 225 731||+61 3 8699 6997||Contact Aussie immediately.|
|ANZ||1800 033 844||+61 3 9683 7043||Contact ANZ lost and Stolen Emergency Services on reverse charges.|
|BananaCoast Community Credit Union||1800 621 199||+61 1300 228 228||Contact VISA Global Customer Assistance immediately|
|Bank SA||13 13 76||+61 2 9553 5883||Report lost or stolen cards, cheques or statements immediately|
|Bank of Queensland||1800 077 024||+61 7 3336 2222||Report lost or stolen cards immediately and follow the prompts|
|BankWest||13 17 18||+61 131718||Cards must be reported immediately|
|Bendigo Bank||1800 035 383||+61 3 5485 7911||Notify Bendigo bank immediately|
|Big Sky Credit Union||1800 224 004||+61 2 9959 7480||Contact Big Sky immediatley|
|Citibank Platinum||1800 818 008||+ 61 2 8225 0615||Contact Citibank immediately|
|Citibank Gold||13 15 96||+ 61 2 8225 0615||Contact Citibank immediately|
|Citibank Silver||13 15 96||+ 61 2 8225 0615||Contact Citibank immediatley|
|Citi-BP MasterCard||13 24 84||+ 61 2 8225 0615||Contact Citibank immediatley|
|Citibank Clear||1300 309 321||+ 61 2 8225 0615||Contact Citibank immediatley|
|Citibank Cash Back||13 24 84||+ 61 2 8225 0615||Contact Citibank immediatley|
|Coles Group Source||1800 005 809||+ 61 3 9420 4816||Contact Immediatley|
|Commonwealth Bank||13 2221||+ 61 2 9999 3283||Contact Immediately|
|Community CPS Australia||1800 224 004||Contact VISA International locally*||Contact VISA Global Customer Assistance immediately|
|Credit Union Australia VISA||1800 224 004||+ 61 2 9251 3704||Contact Immediately|
|Credit Union Australia MasterCards||1800 120 113||+ 1 636 722 7111||Contact Immediately|
|David Jones American Express||1300 36 89 89||+ 61 2 8271 8182||Contact Customer service Immediately|
|Encompass Credit Union||1800 224 004||Contact Visa International locally*||Contact VISA Global Customer Assistance immediately|
|GE Money Low Rate Mastercard||1300 721 394||+ 61 3 9445 0188||Contact Immediately|
|GE Money MasterCard||1300 882 289||+ 61 3 9425 4182||Contact Immediately|
|GE Money eco Mastercard||1300 734 543||+ 61 3 9425 4960||Contact Immediately|
|GE Money Wizard Clear Advantage||1300 552 079||+ 61 3 9445 0190||Contact Immediately|
|GE Money GO Mastercard||1300 462 273||+ 61 3 9425 4886||Contact Immediately|
|GE Money Myer VISA||1300 783 520||+ 61 3 9921 4642||Contact Immediately|
|Heratige Building Society||1800 076 037||+ 61 7 4694 9139||Contact Immediately|
|HSBC VISA||132 152||+ 61 2 9005 8180||Contact Immediately|
|HSBC American Express||1300 132 639||+ 61 2 9005 8180||Contact Immediately|
|Intech Credit Union||1800 224 004||+ 61 2 9928 2930||Contact VISA Global Customer Assistance immediately|
|Macquarie Bank||1300 150 300||+ 61 2 8232 1684||Contact Immediately|
|MECU||1800 224 004||+ 61 3 9853 9294||Contact VISA Global Customer Assistance immediately|
|Members Equity||1300 654 998||+ 61 3 9605 6717||Contact Immediately|
|NAB||1800 033 103||+ 61 3 8641 9083||Contact Immediately|
|Newcastle Permanent Building Society||13 19 87||+ 61 2 4907 6501||Contact Immediately|
|Savings and Loan Credit Union||1800 224 004||Refer to VISA International locally*||Contact Immediately|
|St George||1800 028 208||+ 61 2 9553 5883||Contact Immediately|
|Suncorp-Metaway||13 11 55||+ 61 7 3362 1222||Contact Immediately|
|Victoria Teachers Credit Union||1800 252 149||+ 61 2 9959 7686||Contact Immediately|
|Westpac||1300 651 089||+ 61 2 9374 7082||Call the operator in your current locality and book a reverse charge call to Australia|
|Woolworths||1300 10 1234||+ 61 2 8276 0144||Contact Immediately|
* In most cases if your credit card is a Visa or MasterCard you can contact the local office for assistance.
Lost or Stolen Credit Card Checklist
If your credit card is lost or stolen, follow these simple steps to avoid trouble:
- Contact your financial institution immediately. The quicker you can contact your chosen credit card provider, the less chance there is someone can use it for fraudulent purposes. You will receive a replacement card sooner too.
- Have your account details ready, including details of the last known transaction (if you can remember). This will help your bank track any unauthorised activity and protect you from fraud.
- Consider writing down the name of the person you speak to on the phone, or even sending a letter. If there are any future unauthorised transactions or disputes, this information may help.
- Monitor future transactions and report any discrepancies in case someone tries to use your credit card for identity fraud purposes.
- Remember to redirect any automatic direct debits to your new credit card.
- Most financial institutions will not hold you accountable for any fraudulent charges as long as you notify them within a reasonable time frame.
Tips to help prevent Losing your Credit Cards
The following tips can help you avoid a worst-case scenario if you lose your credit card and may even prevent you from losing your credit card altogether:
- It’s worth keeping a list of contents of all important cards you keep in your wallet or purse. Include contact numbers and store the list separate from where you keep your cards. If you do lose your purse or wallet, it’s easier to cancel all credit cards and important documents.
- When travelling overseas, it’s worth storing any additional credit cards in a safe and separate location. Carry any relevant emergency contact details and be aware of any procedures so you can act accordingly. In some cases, credit card providers will have a courier service or may be able to wire emergency funds to your account.
- Go to the Visa, MasterCard or American Express websites (whichever is applicable) and record the emergency contact number for the country you are visiting. If you lose your card in that country, you can use this number to cancel your card and obtain a replacement. Financial institutions displaying a MasterCard or Visa logo may also be able to help.
- Only carry the credit cards you need. Leave the others at home, and you will probably save money as well.
- Dispose of old credit cards or account statements thoughtfully. It’s worthwhile destroying a credit card or paper statements before throwing them in the bin so they don’t fall into the wrong hands.